Sunday, February 6, 2011

WeeeEEEEeeeeeEEEEEeeeee....

One Week Old!!

One Week Picture with Big Brother Tornado!!

This is how Meme's first week went:

Day 1 ~ We are working on training Meme how to use her tongue properly well eating. She latches good BUT curls her tongue so can not suck properly.

~ They checked her skin for jaundice and it was well below the line. :)

~We got to go home at 830pm that night!!

~Grandma and Papy came to visit you when you got home.

Day 2 ~ The health nurse came, BOO! She had issues getting your temperature correct, we did not know this at the time BUT now we sure do. (this is another post all on its own!!)

~ We went out and exchanged your car seat!! You like your new one now!! :)

~Today we are giving you EBM and Similac, trying to teach you how to use your tongue.

Day 3 ~ BRRRR We are in a winter storm warning!!! It is crappy roads!! Crappy weather!!! Crappy Wind Chill!!! This storm has prevented family members coming to visit from Red Deer.

~ Had to go to the Health nurse office to see if they could help out with breastfeeding. They checked your jaundice and it had gone up. They took your temperature again and SURPRISE they said it was LOW!! But yet it was just fine all night long. (like I said another post all on its own!!) They ended up sending us to the Children's Hospital.

~ Got to the hospital and SURPRISE Meme's temperature was just fine. She had to have a thermometer stuck up her butt for NOTHING!!! We had to drive all the way in the shitty road conditions, sorry for the language.

~ FINALLY got home and just relaxed for the rest of the night.

Day 4 ~ BACK to the health nurse AGAIN!!! Guess what?!?! Yep you guessed it...they said her temperature was low AGAIN!! This time I brought our thermometer and it was just fine with ours!! BUT that was not good enough for the nurse. GAH!! Why is it that they are the ONLY ones that get a low temperature with my child?!?!?!?!? SO FRUSTRATING!!!!! Back on track on: Checked her jaundice level and it had jumped right into the red zone by LOTS. Meme was very sleepy and did not want to eat, which is weird for her because the past days she has LOVED her food, yes I had to wake her to feed but she still gulped it down. The nurse poked her foot to take her blood for the jaundice test and Meme didn't even cry or flinch. It was scary at how unresponsive she was.

~ So off to the hospital we go again. This time we just went to the PLC because if she needed the lights the Children's would have sent us back to the PLC, so we eliminated the step. We got in really fast. Again her temperature was just fine there, but yet the health nurse said it was low...like WTH?!?!?!?

~The blood work came back and her belirubin levels were high, so she would be going in for the light treatment. Than he doctor gave me a scare because they said it could also be meningitis. They are concerned about this because I was GBS positive!! The thoughts that were running through my mind.

~FIRST things first they take blood from Meme, well at least they try. The first tech. that came in to get her blood was looking like he had no idea what he was doing. So I asked him 'Have you done this before?' He replies 'On child 3 and older but NEVER on a baby.' After the news of meningitis I was not about to let my baby be a guinea pig, I know we all have to learn but not today on my little girl. I respond 'I'm sorry and I don't want to be rude but I am not comfortable with you doing this than.' Thank goodness he understood. After that conversation the doctor came in and I told her about what had just happened and she was like 'NO! He will NOT be taking her blood.' They tried to get her blood in the ER but had no success. It was so heart breaking watching them stick the needles in her arms to find a vain. She screamed so loud and it made me cry. I never want to see that again. They gave up and took us upstairs.

~We got into our room and settled down. Our nurse was Anna and she was just AMAZING!!!Than Dad and Tornado headed home. I must add that Tornado was such a trooper these past days, Mom felt very bad for him because how fun can this be for him. They than came and got her to get blood. They had her for a VERY long time!! Brought her back and still had no success. My poor baby girl had gotten poked so many times it broke my heart to hear they had her for SO long and yet still had to come back for her to poke her more. In the end they got the nurse in the NICU to do it. She had her for less than 5 minutes and was done.

~Got blood work back and the CBC came back abnormal. My heart just sunk into the ground. This meant that she would need a spinal tap. BUT wait the doctor says we think it may have been abnormal because the blood was clotted. SO, Meme got poked again and off went her blood to get retested. That was the longest 2 hours of my life...BUT it came back normal!!! Thank God!!! The relief that came over me.


Day 5 ~ Got poked again to get blood to make sure the belirubins had gone down. YES!! It had!!!

~FINALLY got the urine sample, the nurse had to bag her.

~ We were able to go home that afternoon!! Meme was eating well and her temperature stayed put. (I must add Anna and I tag teamed all night long with our thermometers and SURPRISE we always matched.)

~ Got home and just relaxed!!


Day 6 ~ Dad took today off, thank goodness. We all needed just one stress free day!!


Day 7 ~ YIKES I am on my own and it is preschool day!!!

~Tornado slept in...Meme woke up at 830 to eat, same time as Tornado. Have to be out of the house for 9am to get to school in time. It was a marathon but we made it!!

~Tornado LOVED showing off his little sister when I went to pick him up. The adults were allowed to look at her BUT when the other kids looked at Meme he would step in front of the car seat and say 'Don't look at my sister.'

~Went to the doctors for her One week check up!! I can not believe she is already one week old!!! She weighs 6lb 4oz now...we have passed our birth weight!! Her jaundice is looking good!! Over all Dr. Cindy-Anne is really happy with her!!!

~Big brother is still LOVING his little sister.

~Mom is still giving you EBM, it is not getting better it is now getting worse, but no longer on formula!! I have decided if I just have to pump and than bottle feed so be it!! She will still get breast milk either way.

~You have almost outgrown the newborn sleepers. So this weekend I we get to go shopping.


You all might say WOW what a roller coaster ride...

YES it sure was!!!

BUT...

I can truly say I am doing really good and I am enjoying being home now and having all this precious time with my family of 4 now!!

Soaking up the rays!!!


She kept taking off her eye cover SO we had to give her a cool looking eye band too!!

1 comment:

  1. Whew. I need a nap just reading that!! I'm glad you are settling in now though!

    ReplyDelete