Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tornado and His Attitude

Ok so I am confused on this matter and now I have turned to my bloggy friends for help.

My son, Tornado, is 4 years old and OMG the temper on that child is unbearable at times.
Here are some things that he does:
  • Not getting his way for a t.v. show ~ gets up screams at who ever is there, throws something that is near by and than stomps off to his room yelling and screaming. He used to slam his door but I have a stopper on it now so he can not.
  • His game is not working properly or the way he wants it to ~ he throws the controller across the room.
  • He does not want to eat what we make for him ~ he yells, he pounds the couch, he runs off to his room screaming and at times yes he will throw something.
  • We say something he does not like ~ he comes up to us and tries to hit us.
  • His toy does not go his way ~ yep you guessed it all of the above but lately he thinks he can just break the toy.
  • oh the list does go on and on

Now I must add at the end of this list we do not let this slide. He does get into trouble. He does get things taken away from him. He does get time outs. But none of this seems to phase him. It does at the moment but an hour or so later we are at it again. :( Also, I must point out he does not see this around our house so I am at a lose as to where he learns it. After talking to other moms that have boys I think it is a boy thing but this boy of mine is taking it to another level.

One day this week I was at a lose for words and well that rarely happens (anyone who knows me in real life will agree with that one). Here is what happened:

He up and hit his friend because his friend was trying to help him out. Well I don't stand for anyone hitting, so into time out he went. YA RIGHT that was a battle on it's own. He was not going into a time out he was not listening he was the boss, or so he thought. I finally got him into time out, after a lot of kicking and punching and screaming. He than proceeded to throw a hard toy across the room. So off to his room he went because I am not going to have him hurt his friends. There he screamed forever, at least it felt like forever. Than he calmed down and came back out and said sorry to both me and his friend. SUCCESS is what we all think but NOPE. Than he decided him and his friends were going to play his game cube in his room. Ok no prob. I say. Well he throw his controller across the room. So out went the controllers and I told him he lost his games because he had thrown the controllers and now he could have a time out. So out to the living room go his friends. He than decided to pick up his controller for his T.V. and throw it at me, so the T.V. gets unplugged. I say ok you lose your T.V. now, we don't throw things that is bad. YEP another long battle of screaming and throwing things. He than says he is really sorry and I say ok but I still need you to go into your room and have a nap so your attitude changes. Well he was not happy with that at all...he grabs a handful of his lite bright pegs and throws them at me. OH I am so MAD right now. I tell him to get his butt back to his bed and we don't throw things!! So away goes his lite bright now. I have never had to take so many toys away from him in less than a few hours!! Why is he not getting it? What have I done wrong? How can I fix this? AHHHHH!!! It was a long battle. In the end he did change his attitude but WOW!!

Now you all may think I did it...I made it through to Tornado...not a hope in hell. He started again this morning after only being awake for a few hours. This needs to stop before he hurts himself or someone else but how? As long as things go his way or he hears what he wants it is all fine and dandy and well that is not how life is. LOL I told him he had to understand he was the kid and we are the adults and the adults are the bosses!! And please don't think my son is horrible or misbehaved all the time because he is not...but lately this anger is just getting in the way. We love him very much and I think this is why it bothers us so much.

So any parents out there that have gone through this or have advice it would be greatly appreciated. :)

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had a good piece of advice to give you. Sometimes though when my kids freak the fuck out (lol) I take a deep breath before I respond, or maybe a few deep breaths, then I speak to the with the most calm, serene voice ever. I find that helps. When I yell or raise my voice, they want to yell back and it remains chaotic. They respond well if you breathe.....then react. Quietly.

    ReplyDelete